Before Arriving on Campus
While there are numerous computer labs available for student use and bringing your own computer is not required, owning your own computer is more convenient. All residence halls at Mercyhurst have one computer network hookup per student plus wireless connectivity. It is recommended that students purchase an Ethernet cable to use for a wired network connection. A wired connection is faster than a wireless connection and in cases where the wireless connection is down, the wired connection will be available to limit downtime.
A Mercyhurst network connection gives each student access to:
- Office 365 Email Account which includes Microsoft Office 2016 for free
- Microsoft OneDrive (7 GB)
- WebAdvisor (Student Data Information)
- Blackboard (Online Course Access)
- Hammermill Library Connections
Before arriving on campus, these steps should be taken to ensure a smooth transition into college life:
- Install an approved anti-virus program on your computer and update it to the latest definitions.
- Download and install Microsoft Office for free through your Mercyhurst email account.
- Install all critical Windows Updates. May have to restart and run Windows Update multiple times before your system is completely up to date.
- Log into the Portal and reset your Mercyhurst password using the Password Management Tool under Quick Links.
- Verify that you are able to access all of your Mercyhurst accounts:
- Blackboard – blackboard.mercyhurst.edu
- WebAdvisor – webadvisor.mercyhurst.edu
- Portal – my.mercyhurst.edu
- Email – mymail.mercyhurst.edu
Explore the Portal for information regarding other services offered at Mercyhurst by various departments including IT.
Mercyhurst is a Microsoft-Focused Campus
- Campus servers are Microsoft platforms.
- Faculty & Staff hardware and software are Microsoft-oriented.
- Software is intended for Microsoft platforms.
Macs on Campus
- Apple computers and related software are primarily used in:
- Education Lab
- Graphic Art Lab
- Photo Lab
- Music Lab
- Several faculty and staff use Apple computers.
- Students can use personal Apple computers on campus.
- Can be registered and connect to the network.
- Can connect to most account connections.
- May require FireFox browser.
Below is a list of currently approved anti-virus programs that students can have that will pass through Bradford registration. Trial versions of anti-virus software that are pre-installed on new computers will not pass the registration process and should be uninstalled and replaced with one from the list below before coming onto campus. We recommend downloading and installing the free Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft. If you have a Windows 8 computer, Windows Defender is an approved anti-virus that is built into your operating system and only needs to be updated to be an active anti-virus.
The list of approved anti-virus programs will be changed and updated each term.
Mercyhurst-approved Anti-Virus programs:
- AVG 2013 -2016
- Avast Internet Security
- ESET Endpoint Security
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 – 2015
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 – 2015
- Kaspersky PURE 2.0 – 3.0
- Kaspersky Total Security 2015
- McAfee AntiVirus Plus & Plus 12
- McAfee Home
- McAfee Antivirus Plus 12 – 14
- McAfee Total Protection 13 – 14
- McAfee Internet Security
- McAfee LiveSafe 13 – 14
- McAfee Security Center 12 – 14
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Defender
- Norton 360
- Norton Anti-Virus 2012 – 2013+
- Norton Internet Security 2012 – 2013+
- Symantec Corporate
- Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Trend Micro
- Trend Micro Internet Security
- Webroot Antivirus Corporate
- Webroot SecureAnywhere